The AEC Industry is impacted by two powerful global developments: first the evolution of “Building Information Modeling (BIM)”, revolutionizing the entire process of design, drafting and visualization, second, “environmental awareness”, calling for commitment to sustainable building targeting the quality-of-life of future generations.
Over the last couple of years, Building Information Modeling (BIM) has been one of the most visible aspects of a deep and fundamental change that is rapidly transforming the global construction industry. SmartMarket Report shows that half of the industry is using BIM/ or BIM-related tools today, indicating a 75% increase in usage in the last two years. The Construction User's Roundtable (CURT) has recommended that owners are demanding the utilization of BIM on their projects for effective collaboration and improved project quality. The Global Fraternity of Architects (GFA) touts BIM as the future of the construction industry. The AIA is actively redefining the practice of architecture to take advantage of this technology. Despite the fact, a relatively small percentage of architectural firms and builders are embracing the BIM concept. Architectural Evangelist conducts a survey and finds out that the misconceptions and ignorance of the fundamental benefits of BIM choke off the idea of transitioning to the BIM platform.
- Analog to Digital Transformation
- 3D Visualization
- Quality Construction Documents
- Integrated Database of Coordinated Information
- Detect Conflicts of Operating Parameters
- Reduce Interdisciplinary Coordination Errors and Changes
- Better Coordination and Collaboration
- Schedules, Quantities and Estimations
- Thermal Performance Analysis
- Analysis of the Building Performance
- BIM Sustainable Design
The BIM Approach
The BIM Modeling poses enough benefits to the owners. It helps the home builders and developers visualize and analyze the project before it is built.
- Simulation and 3D Visualization
- Vast Library of Parametric Families
- Details View of the Object
- BIM Performance Based Design
- Accurate Cost Estimation and Tender Management
- Project Planning and Scheduling
- Structural Design
- Fabrication and Erection
- Quantity Take-off and Procurement
- Facility Management
- Forecast Building Performance
The Fundamental Benefits of BIM
Applying BIM to designing a building can deliver a plethora of economic, environmental and societal benefits to home builders – that go much further than the advantages of AutoCAD.
● 3D Visualization
BIM provides drawings, cross-sections and details in 3D. It provides home developers as well as owners with a better understanding of the architectural design. In addition, the accuracy of the 3D models reduces insurances, overheads and claims.
● Meet Owners Taste and Style
BIM software helps home developers meet taste of prospective customers.
● Expedite the Floor Planning
Floor planning is the pivotal component in a construction documentation set. BIM software expedites the floor planning and schedules. A typical CAD program can't match the quality and speed Revit provides.
● Tender Management
BIM Modeling helps to prepare accurate project estimates with a detailed cost analysis process, manage tenders, administer the contract, conduct field inspections and closely track the construction process to determine whether it is on schedule and adheres to budgets.
● Quantity Take-off and Procurement
The material quantities can be automated and alternatives analyzed for better decision-making and risk management.
● Automated Collision Checks
Due to parametric dimensional view, risks are mitigated easily and errors are corrected at early stages of design. The automatic coordination of changes offered by BIM eliminates mistakes and improve the overall quality.
● Enhanced Collaboration and Productivity
BIM minimizes the fragmentation of information and enhances the collaboration through the integration of the parties.
● BIM 4D and 5D
BIM model may be linked to schedule (4D) and Cost (5D), enabling visualization and analysis of the project.
● Easy Approval from the Local Building Regulators
3D BIM modeling help is fast catching the favor of building regulatory authorities in approving building plans. Planning officers are increasingly showing their interests for construction visualizations while judging the constructability and sustainability.
● Optimization of In-place Families like (countertops, fireplace, etc); Wall Sweeps (Gutters, chair, etc.) and Interior Families (interior trim, lighting, etc.)
Achieve complex architecture and building practices because of a seamless connection between design and fabrication, expediting the manufacturing and/or fabrication of engineered building components.